Someone is ready for sunny Asia tomorrow with my knitted summer hat. To think that I almost abandoned the idea because I made some mistakes last night which ended up with me unknitting amd unpurling until 2 in the morning. After seeing how it fits on Mirang though, I felt that my perseverance paid off.
I have signed up at ravelry, a community site for knitters and crocheters, and this is where I saw a free pattern for easy raffled hat for babies by louise felice. It took me some time to study the pattern and see how I can adjust it to Mirang’s head size, my needle and yarn of choice before I was ready to begin with my latest project because I am afraid that some knitting maths is involved.
I am supposed to do my own swatch because my knitting style (I am a loose AND tight knitter depending on my hormonal level on any given day) might not match with that described on the pattern but was too lazy so I used the gauge stated of my yarn instead which is 18M (stitches) in 10 cm. Because I am already familiar with Myboshi cotton-kapok yarn and how stretchy it can be, I decided to subtract some cm from Mira’s head size. So instead of 46, I used 41 cm which I multiply with 1.8 (18 stitches per 10 cm) and arrived at 73.8 or 74. And based from the pattern used, I casted 148 stitches and knit for 4 rows to get the raffles before decreasing to get the target stitches of 74. And voila, a girly summer hat.
P.S. I am happy to sign up at ravelry with so many free patterns available. Excited to try out more.